Well I'm sure most of you heard about Rafe's sickness. He had RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) which caused him to have pneumonia. RSV and complications in babies under 6 months old often causes death, so it was very scary for us. But luckily, my little boy made it through. :) He's a fighter! He was REALLY sick for a while there, but just as quickly as he worsened, he got better. He is still sick, but he is A LOT better than he was, and he's not so sick that he needs to be in the hospital anymore. After 5 days there, I was SO glad that he could come home.
Unfortunately, the medicines he was on and just in general serious RSV often causes asthma later in life. So we're going to have to be extremely cautious about that. But asthma isn't always that serious. My brother has it and he's a great athlete! It doesn't really prohibit you from doing much. And he's kind of grown out of it as he's gotten older. He had a lot of asthma attacks as a child, and just normal sicknesses like the flu or pneumonia turned in to life-threatening things. But as long as you're careful, once you get past that it's really nothing major. I'd much rather him have asthma than not be here, so I'm thankful!
Thank ya'll SO much for all the thoughts and prayers, I'm confident that it did make a difference. The power of prayer is an amazing thing.
Also, for those who aren't aware of what RSV is, basically it's a respiratory virus that infects the lungs and breathing passageways. Most people can get better quickly and without much medical intervention, but in infants (especially under 6 months), young children, older adults and people with other respiratory diseases, it can become severe. It's the most common cause of pneumonia and bronchiolitis in babies under 1 year old.
No comments:
Post a Comment